Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Teacher Called in Sick

The past few weeks I have been feeling a kind of "stuck in muck" feeling at my placement. The age group and class dynamic is practically elementary and it feels like I am always holding back because "that is not the way you speak to this age group." I almost wanted to ask for a transfer when we did a few days on how Winnie the Pooh compares to Taoism.

However, something happened this morning that changed my attitude towards my placement. My teacher called in sick and since I have my sub permit I was in charge. I have taken days more often than not at this point, but there is a different feel to it when it is all me and not someone watching, jumping in if they feel things are getting too gruff, when in teaching History, unpleasant things have to be discussed.

Needless to say, today has reignited my want for my own classroom. My management is getting stronger and I am finding my teacher voice, which for a time I was wondering if I was ever going to get. I have had this feeling before when subs are called in, but today I was totally in charge of steering the ship and it did not sink.

I can still learn ALOT from the regular class dynamic. It is just a matter of not letting the what I think as "kid stuff" get in the way of the noticing what is happening outside the lesson. Making subject matter comprehensible to students is huge and it will be my job to find that everyday connection that they can identify with, even if it is Winnie the Pooh. I am more of a Bernstein Bears guy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad subbing has reignited your desire to be a teacher. It sounds like it has also helped you relate more with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear this Gabe!!

    ReplyDelete